Panna district is a district in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. It is popular for its diamond mines. It is the administrative Centre of Panna town.
A large number of diamond deposits extends North-East on a branch of the Vindhya Range for 150 miles (240 km) or so, and is known as the Panna group. They do not shelter an area of more than 20 acres (81,000 m2).
Great pits, maybe, 30 feet (9.1 m) in depth and 25 feet (7.6 m) in diameter, are dug for the sake of reaching the diamond conglomerate, which, in various cases, was only a very thin layer According to Valentine Ball, who edited the 1676 ‘Travels in India’ of Jean-Baptiste Tavernier, Tiefenthaler was the first European to visit the mines in 1765 and claimed, the Panna diamonds could not relate in hardness and fire with other places in India.
No actually large diamonds have come from this area. The most productive mines were in the 1860s and were found in Sakaria about 20 miles (32 km) from Panna.
Four classifications were given to the Panna diamonds: first, Motichul, clear and brilliant; 2nd, Manik, with a faint orange tint; 3rd, Panna, verging in tint towards green; 4th, Burns put, sepia coloured Mines is located in the interior of Panna district.
Diamond mines in Panna are achieved under the Diamond Mining Project of National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC Ltd) of Government of India.
In other mines each year the land is leased to prospective miners by the government action.
The diamonds unearthed are all collected by the district magistrate(DM) of Panna and are auctioned in the month of January.
Auctions are open to the public and require an R.s 5000 deposit. Upwards of 100 diamonds of different shade and carat are offered for sale.